Monday, March 18, 2013

Sanford, Pinot Noir - Vin Gris, 2011, Sta. Rita Hills, California

I just got back a few weeks ago from a wine tasting trip in the Santa Ynez Valley and was blown away by the quality, diversity, and consistency of wines I had.   The Syrahs were pure, tannic, and powerful.  The Grenaches were lighter but had layers of complexity and grace.  I loved the white Rhone blends more than most of the  Chardonnays I had.  The Pinots were clean, balanced, and expensive.  I had a few Cabs from Happy Canyon that rivaled anything I tasted on my trips to Walla Walla, Yakima, and Red Mountain.  Anyway, on to the review!  This rose is is electric hot pink almost appearing internally lit in color.  It flashy color is matched by its hedonistic nose of burnt marshmallow, watermelon, and simple syrup.  This wine is appealing both for it's freshness and depth of flavor.  It is rare to find a rose that is this true to its varietal.  This Pinot sings with flavors of dried strawberries and subtle earth.  It has weight on the palate, saline acidity, and a clean citrus finish.  It's juicy but still lean and dry.   This is another perfect island wine.  Hawaii needs less Moscato and more dry rose!  

No comments:

Post a Comment