Saturday, March 16, 2013

Raymond, "R Collection" Chardonnay, 2011, California

This Chardonnay is light pale and more translucent than gold.  It is rather mass market in approach but has nice clean flavors.  I picked up kiwi, golden apple, and fresh glazed doughnut on the nose.  The front end of the palate was dominated by rock candy, very very light lemon, and even some crisp iceberg lettuce.   This wine was a little too sweet for me and cried out or acid and body.  It got me thinking about balance and how some might like this wine for avoiding falling into the overoaked category of entry level Chards.  But for me balance in and of itself isn't enough.
It's a fine line between subtlety and boredom.  Too often wines that are subtle and balanced to some are boring to me.  I like it when flavors that are seemingly disparate come together in ways that wake up my palate and open my mind.  Opposites attract in real life and often in wine too.  I like music and people that are awkward and confusing.  Why can't these things be in the same with wine?  Sorry Mr. R Collection Chard for going off.  This is more about me than you.  You are just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment