Saturday, January 19, 2013

Lavau, Gigondas, 2010, France

Is that a Gigondas on the shelf or are you just happy to see me, Costco?  I really don't mean to ape this other blog's style but sometimes my wallet is empty and the bargain wine pickings are kinda slim here in Honolulu.  Either way, for less than 15 bucks the 2010 Lavau is a great opportunity to get a real taste of what the southern Rhone has to offer.  Wines from Gigondas or Vacqueyras are not too difficult to find in the states and can be a real step up in both complexity and body from your everyday Cote De Rhone without being nearly as expensive as a Chateauneuf-du-Pape.  

The Lavau is vibrant purple black in the glass.  It has very enticing nose of violets, raspberries, minerality and inkiness.  This wine has an initial austerity and lack of fruit right out of the bottle.  I picked up hints of woodiness and bell pepper with tar hitting on the back end.  As it opens up raspberry fruit and black licorice with creamy milk chocolate undertones really start to shine.  This is far from full bodied but the purity and richness of the fruit really give the Lavau a sense of grandeur (Did I really just say that about something I bought at Costco?)   The acidity and berry flavors beautifully bob and weave around each other like a young Cassius Clay.  I'm trying not to wax all poetic all the time about what I love but sometimes it just can't be helped.

1 comment:

  1. Yeap, it was really amazing for the price (btw, I also bought in Costco).

    ReplyDelete