Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Chateau Bonnet, Entre Deux Mers, 2011, Bordeaux, France

I just love it when white wine has a little stink to it.  For some reason, stinkiness is something people usually can appreciate in a red wine but when it comes to whites we're looking for something completely crisp, clean, pure etc.  I think that barnyardy poopy musty dirty sock flavors can bring complexity and balance to white wines as well.  Anyway, this Bordeaux from the far northern region of Entre Deux Mers was stinky but also spicy like the kick from bitter kale or chard.  I also smelled smashed banana and white flowers.  The spice carried through on the flavor of this entry level white wine work horse as well.  Tropical notes of coconut and lilikoi dominate the front end .  The acidity was not overwhelming but still super persistent balancing out the round honey mid-palate.  As the wine warmed, I was also was reminded of the strong desire to drink slightly flat 7-Up whenever I get even a slight upset stomach.    I love how wine can bring up the most random of memories.  Anyway, this is a lovely little balanced white blend for less than 15 bucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment