Thursday, January 31, 2013

Bodegas Martin Codax, "Burgans" Albarino, 2011, Riax Baixas, Spain

Just got back from a perfect happy hour pupu-fest at the lovely Salt Kitchen in the Kaimuki neighborhood of Honolulu.  They had a great duo of happy hour wines to choose from including a bright berry-centric Beaujolais and this super fresh, crisp Albarino from Riax Baixas.  There couldn't be a better red or white wine for warm Honolulu evening if you ask me (except maybe a dry rose). The Burgans had a punchy in your face nose of lemon, rock candy, and fancy french soap.  Also, something is on the tip of my tongue.  Oh yeah, it's a shit ton of acid that locked in almost before the wine actually hits my mouth.  This Albarino has a nice medium weight and notes of round watermelon that balance out well with all the dominate bright lemon/lime citrus.  After a while the lemon gets a little too "rindy" and begs for something else I couldn't quite put my finger on to provide some sort of counter-weight.  Still overall this wine kicks ass and paired well with the bar's ridiculously yummy edemame guacamole.  Watch out Salt.  I'll be back!         

No comments:

Post a Comment