Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Beckmen, Marsanne, 2006, Purisima Mountain Vineyard, Santa Ynez Valley, California

This Marsanne has a medium yellow slightly cloudy color.  The nose is not crazy open but I got hits of pink rubber ball, peach, and sweet cream cheese frosting.  Kelly picked up "dainty little flowers."  This wine had a nice waxy/oily texture that I found true to the Rhone varietal.  Butterscotch, peach, and a cool minerality dominate the initial flavor profile.  A soft acidity shivers its way down the front end and rounds out on the mid-pallet.  The finish somehow reminded me of green melon scooped up into tiny little yummy balls.  Yummy!  Marsanne and Roussanne, with their cool, classy not so in your face flavors, have been rocking my world lately.  This domestic effort does a good job of staying true to the restrained nature of the varietal while adding just a little touch of ripe California love.  Lately I have been finding that the domestic efforts of Rhone's other major white wine,Viognier, to be a little too fruit-forward and flashy for my liking.  If you find one that is more balanced, please let me know!

P.S. Kelly and I had this wine at Du Vin, in Honolulu's Chinatown.  The front room is super old school with lots of dark wood, the little patio in the back is hella romantic, and they got a nice well rounded selection of wines.  Tuesday all non-reserve bottles are half-off all night long!  How can you beat that?        

No comments:

Post a Comment